Monday, September 19, 2011

Interview with Dry as Rain Author, Gina Holmes

Recently I had the wonderful opportunity to interview author, Gina Holmes. Gina Holmes is the bestselling/award-winning author of Crossing Oceans. Her sophomore novel, Dry as Rain released in 2011 with Tyndale House Publishers. She holds degrees in science and nursing and makes her home in southern Virginia. To learn more about her, visit: www.ginaholmes.com or www.novelrocket.com

1. What inspired you to write Dry as Rain?

I see so many marriages around me, good marriages falling apart because of a snowball of misunderstandings and unkind words. That was a proponent of sorts and then I started wondering what would happen if one spouse was suddenly emotionally back to when they were still in love. How would that effect the other spouse and the marriage.

2. How was writing Dry Rain different from writing your debut novel, Crossing Oceans?

Well, Crossing Oceans is written from the point of view from a woman who, while made mistakes, is someone on the right path of trying to do the right thing. Dry as Rain is written from a man's point of view. It was challenging, to say the least, to try and crawl into a man's skin and not use the flowery language and imagery I would if I were writing from a woman's mindset. It's a very different book but they're both about redemption and forgiveness and family drama.

3. Like your characters, you've experienced the loss of marriage. Were there any parallels between what Eric and Kyra went through and your own life?

A few. As far as I know my ex-husband didn't have an affair, but he did stop being attracted to me and even liking me not long into our marriage. When he told me he wanted a divorce, it was devastating but a relief.  I know that kind of rejection and pain. I know that kind of lonliness and I can see how someone can fall into the sin of infidelity, although it is sin regardless of the circumstances.

4. One of the topics Dry as Rain deals with is infidelity. Why did you pick that particular betrayal to explore?

I was not cheated on that I know of, or did I cheat, but again, I know the temptation of that and truly believe that given the right set of circumstances any of us can fall. I never thought I'd ever have that temptation myself. I pride myself in being loyal above all, but it's easy for someone who just ate to not be tempted to steal food, quite another for someone who is dying of starvation

5. How has your life changed in the past couple of years since you became a published author?

Well, I remarried 2 years ago to the love of my life. I'm no longer starving and thank God for that. I feel like I've come through a trial and testing period that I did better than I would have thought, not as well as I would have liked, but at the end of it all was Adam. He is one of God's greatest gifts to me and adores me as much as I do him. I also now have 3 beautiful stepdaughters to add to my family, with 2 boys and 3 girls, we're one shy of the Brady bunch!

I also am not nursing full time at the moment. This could change given unforeseen circumstances but for now I'm enjoying the time to work on Novel Rocket, promotion and of course writing!

6. Do you still find time to review books for you successful literary website, Novel Rocket? (Formerly known as Novel Journey)

Very rarely will be review a book on Novel Rocket. That's not the site's purpose. I handed over the separate, Novel Reviews website, to Kelly Klepfer, one of our team members. She's much better at it then I am. 

7. I've been writing a novel to hopefully publish in the future. What advice do you give aspiring writers?

I've recently done a youtube video on this very subject:


8. What is your favorite thing about writing?

Wow, I love almost all of it. I guess knowing something I've written has pointed to one of God's truths. 

9. What do you hope readers will take away from Dry as Rain?

I hope that couples will stop and take a moment to see how easy it is to get off the path and that at any point, all it takes is one of the couple to turn it around or at least to begin to turn it around. Humans are very reactive, I know I am. I don't believe every couple who has gone through infidelity really can work it out, or should. But some can and should. Some people really do repent and change and in that case, that's a love worth saving.  


Check out her novel, Dry as Rain, which is available now!




Behind every broken vow lies a broken heart.
When Eric and Kyra Yoshida first met, they thought their love would last forever. But like many marriages, theirs has gradually crumbled, one thoughtless comment and misunderstanding at a time, until the ultimate betrayal pushes them beyond reconciliation. Though Eric longs to reunite with Kyra, the only woman he has truly loved, he has no idea how to repair the damage that’s been done.

Then a car accident erases part of Kyra’s memory—including her separation from Eric—and a glimmer of hope rises from the wreckage. Is this a precious opportunity for the fresh start Eric has longed for? Does he even deserve the chance to find forgiveness and win back Kyra’s heart . . . or will the truth blow up in his face, shattering their last hope for happiness? A richly engaging story of betrayal and redemption, Dry as Rain illuminates with striking emotional intensity the surprising truth of what it means to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment