Saturday, February 11, 2012

Book Review: Cindy Woodsmall's The Harvest of Grace

  Although Sylvia Fisher recognizes that most Old Order Amish women her age spend their hours managing a household and raising babies, she has just one focus—tending and nurturing the herd on her family’s dairy farm. But when a dangerous connection with an old beau forces her to move far from home, she decides to concentrate on a new start and pour her energy into reviving another family’s debt-ridden farm.
   After months in rehab, Aaron Blank returns home to sell his Daed’s failing farm and move his parents into an easier lifestyle. Two things stand in his way: the father who stubbornly refuses to recognize that Aaron has changed and the determined new farmhand his parents love like a daughter. Her influence on Aaron’s parents could ruin his plans to escape the burdens of farming and build a new life.
   Can Aaron and Sylvia find common ground? Or will their unflinching efforts toward opposite goals blur the bigger picture— a path to forgiveness, glimpses of grace, and the promise of love.
   This actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially when I noticed I already had read a book from this author, and didn't really enjoy it.  I think the only thing I'm struggling to understand is whether the Amish struggle with such secular things. I'm sure they have their own problems, but it seems they would have so many other things we wouldn't even understand to worry about that what we usually perceive as problems would b smaller to them. 
  To start with I hate how this author tries to imitate the accent of the Amish in her writing. Words like "daed', and "kumm" are too distracting to add to the dialogue of the story for me. Instead I find myself how "kumm" stands out too much for me to be thinking about it four pages later. It's completely okay to spell the words as they are rightly. We all know the Amish have an accent, and I think it carries over more than just the few words. Actually, for the Amish to have a thick accent they probably speak in German the majority of the time, so if she wants to really be as close to possible to the actual thing then she should just write it all in German. 
  The characters are interesting though, and I thought the lead character reacting upon an adulterous relationship was probably the most interesting thing I've read in Christian fiction so far. I've often complained about the perfect characters that seem to be featured in these stories.  Everyone was a vast improvement from other characters I had read before. 
   This story is apart of a series though, so it may be difficult to get into if you haven't read the other books. I found myself not feeling that connected to the characters probably because I missed out on the other books. You can check out The Harvest of Grace at Amazon

This book was provided by Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment